Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:56:07 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: 24 Jan 2003 22:44:49 +0100
>
> > I don't use CVS/ssh, and cannot easily do so.  If the old repository
> > is eliminated, I will have no way to check in changes, not even by
> > logging into gnu.org machines (since my login there is effectively
> > disabled by the requirement to install SSHv2 clients).
> >

> CVS access uses ssh v1.

Yes, I know that.  What I meant to say is that my home machine runs
Windows, where I have a CVS port installed that doesn't support SSH at
all.  That port is well configured and set up, and served me well for
2 years; I'm accustomed to it, including a couple of Windows-related
quirks.  Given the total lack of free time, I cannot afford installing
and configuring another port, even if it's not the Cygwin port (the
latter would mean I also need to install gobs of related and
semi-related packages I don't really need, which will interfere with
my system setup that is not based on Cygwin).

Installing a free OS is also impractical, for the same reasons: I
simply don't have enough time to become a full-time system manager for
an OS of which my current knowledge level is at best that of a
sophisticated user.

I do have a working SSHv1 setup on my home machine that supports
telnet and scp, so I could remedy the problem with CVS by logging into
gnu.org and committing changes from there.  However, that approach,
too, was closed to me when gnu.org went to SSHv2.  Moving to SSHv2 on
my home machine would again require installing, configuring, and
learning to use packages for which I don't have time.

> > However, since lately I seldom check in anything, I'm not sure you
> > should keep the old repository just for my sake.
>
> Sorry I jumped to conclusions...  but as I understand the message from
> Jaime, it is only a question of time before the :pserver: write access
> is disabled...

Yes, I knew that for some time now.  That's why I'm not sure my
problems are important enough for you to avoid doing that now.