Re: environment variable don't get coding conversion

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: environment variable don't get coding conversion
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:22:27 -0500

    >     I'm not sure what that means, but something needs to be done to make
    >     non-ASCII usable.
    >
    > Could you show an example of what exactly you would like to do,
    > that doesn't work now?

    I'm surprised there's any question about doing coding conversion, if
    that's what you mean.

"Make non-ASCII usable" is not specific enough for me to understand.
I cannot be sure if there is a real problem.

Please show me a specific problem case so I can judge if there is a
significant problem.

    If you have a non-ASCII variable name, you can't sensibly use M-x
    getenv with it;

getenv could decode the variable name, if that is useful.

                    if you have your non-ASCII personal name in NAME,
    Emacs gets your `user-full-name' as a unibyte string with which random
    things will happen;

Please show specific examples so I can judge whether these are real problems
and, if so, look for solutions.