Re: regression: filling comments in C++ code (today's CVS)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: regression: filling comments in C++ code (today's CVS)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:48:16 -0500

> > Ah, so it's because filladapt does not faithfully implement the
> > fill-paragraph interface.
>
> Well, it's not that Kyle E Jones just was being stupid when he wrote
> filladapt. He can't do it any better way since there's no hook to
> replace fill-context-prefix which implements adaptive-fill-mode.

I don't understand.  Why can't filladapt check (and call)
fill-paragraph-function before doing anything else ?

> It'd be nice if fill.el provided a function that only did the pure
> text filling between two positions, preferably also with the option to

Isn't that what fill-region-as-paragraph does ?

> keep a fill postfix or to fill inside a rectangle.

This part is indeed missing, obviously.

> > For the sake of correctness in cases other than filladapt, how about
> > setting fill-paragraph-function (while still keeping the rebinding
> > of M-q) so that calling fill-paragraph DTRT.
>
> That wouldn't work when filladapt is used, but it's perhaps good

That would help in the "normal" case, so the question is not "would it
work with filladapt" but "would it hurt with filladapt".
AFAIK it can't hurt, but I don't know enough about filladapt (or about
cc-mode's filling) to be sure.

        Stefan