Re: pcl-cvs help

From: Jim Hourihan
Subject: Re: pcl-cvs help
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:28:58 -0800

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

>> David Caldwell <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > This seemed to eliminate the problem for me (from Andrew's FAQ):
>> >
>> > (setq process-connection-type nil)
>>
>> There is a problem with the implementation of ptys on the Mac OS X.
>> That was why I set process-connection-type to nil by default in
>> lisp/term/mac-win.el.  At some point, this was conditioned out without
>> my knowledge.  If no one can provide a good reason for doing this, I
>> propose to change it back the way it was.
>
> Hmmmm so if CVS' output is a pipe, PCL-CVS hits the CVS+SSH+libc+pipe problem
> and if it's a pty, it hits the other problem.
>
> IIRC, one way to get things working is to use a pipe (as it should,
> and as it was doing in Emacs-21.2) and to set CVS_RSH not to `ssh'
> but to a script like
>
>       #!/bin/sh
>       (ssh "$@" 2>&1 1>&3 | cat) 3>&1 1>&2
>
> that runs ssh's stderr through `cat'.  Jim, can you try that ?

It works! Both OS X and Linux are now working flawlessly (fingers
crossed). Thank god too because this has been driving me nuts! I reverted
the pcvs.el file to its shipped state by uncommenting out this line in
cvs-run-process:

          (process-connection-type nil)

That fixed the problem. I tried cvs-status on our entire source tree and it
worked. If something goes wrong with it I'll know in the next couple of
days.

          -Jim