Re: Tramp changelog entries messes up lisp/ChangeLog

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tramp changelog entries messes up lisp/ChangeLog
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:51:55 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Alex Schroeder wrote:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > I would suggest creating a new lisp/net/tramp/ directory and move
> > the tramp*.el files there, and create a separate ChangeLog file there.
> > I suppose it will then make sense to move all of the tramp related
> > changelog entries from lisp/ChangeLog to lisp/net/tramp/ChangeLog.
> But will you do this for every package that is maintained externally?

Probably not.  Which means maintainers of such packages should retag
their entries with the check-in date.

Perhaps we should have a command to do that automatically on a region of
a ChangeLog.  (Maybe there already is such a command, I didn't check.)

> And even if the order is wrong -- when exactly will that confuse us?

I frequently browse ChangeLog files to find out what was the sequence of
changes, when some change breaks some feature.  So I think the dates
should be in monotonous order, like they have been until now.

Also, it is confusing if the dates in CVS and in the change log are very

> I only ever use ChangeLog entries when I want to answer questions like
> "what where the recent changes related to file/variable/function foo"
> -- and for that, there need only be a very rough ordering of items.

Some changes interact, you know.