Re: set-process-filter-multibyte and etc.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: set-process-filter-multibyte and etc.
Date: 10 Feb 2003 15:57:51 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> >>  The only question is when to check
> >>  default-enable-multibyte-characters.  When a process is
> >>  created, or just before calling a filter?  I think the
> >>  former is more like file I/O.  And it may be ok to have a
> >>  function set-process-filter-multibyte which can change the
> >>  multibyteness of a string to a filter on the way.
>
> > Good points.  Also, there could be a new `:multibyte BOOL' argument to
> > make-network-process to initialize the filter multibyteness of the new
> > process; specifying this would override the setting of
> > default-enable-multibyte-characters.
>
> >>  Or, was the intention of set-process-multibyte actually
> >>  set-process-filter-multibyte?
>
> > At least, that was the problem I was looking at when I suggested it,
> > so yes.
>
> I've just installed changes for set-process-filter-multibyte
> and etc.

Great.  I've fixed a few typos and doc strings.

If a process buffer is specified to start-process or make-network-process,
it would seem logical to assume that the process filter will
eventually insert the string into that buffer.

So I wonder whether it would make sense to let the default filter
multibyteness depend on the multibyteness of the BUFFER argument to
start-process and make-network-process (if specified and non-nil)?

And only revert to default-enable-multibyte-characters if BUFFER is nil.