Re: proposed patch to expand-abbrev in abbrev.c

From: Karl Chen
Subject: Re: proposed patch to expand-abbrev in abbrev.c
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:08:52 -0800

My previous suggestion was that save-abbrevs's options not change, and
abbrevs-changed would be set to 'trivially if abbrevs had changed trivially
only (only the use count). this would require a lot of options for saving
abbrevs however. I think you mean to have save-abbrevs have an extra option
of 'trivially but this is ambiguous as to whether it's silent or not.

How about a new variable save-abbrevs-trivially which would affect the
behavior of updating the abbrevs-changed value.

    rms> I think `expand-abbrev', should modify abbrevs-changed if it
increments the
    rms> usage counter of an abbrev. Maybe a better solution would be to set it
    rms> "'trivially" or use a secondary variable if this would be annoying to
people
    rms> that don't have (setq save-abbrevs 'quietly).

    rms> I think that additional change is important--could you add that part?

    rms>     Which one?

    rms> Using the value `trivally' for save-abbrevs to enable this.

--
Karl Chen / address@hidden