Possible Bug - The return of the \201

From: Hans-Peter Binder
Subject: Possible Bug - The return of the \201
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:40:24 +0100

I have a problem with current Emacs from CVS. When i start Gnus,
i see in the article-buffer, and only in the article-buffer, all
German Umlauts with a \201, like Umläüte.
This appears IMO since 10.02.2003. The Emacs built from cvs-10.02.03
have this problem, and builds before never have this on my machine.
I have tested this with Oort Gnus v0.16 and also with the built-in
Gnus-5.9. And I see the correct display when i use Emacs from CVS
build before 10.02.03.

There is a problem, but it has nothing to do with the Gnus
functionality. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the Emacs from CVS
since 10.02.2003.

Version of this emacs:
  GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5)
 of 2003-02-12 on hyperion.mac

Configuration options:
  '--without-x' '--enable-carbon-app'

Multibyte characters awareness:
  default: t
  current-buffer: t

Current language environment: German
Window-system: mac1
Coding system of the terminal: iso-8859-1

I have tried tests to set many of the language-environments and
coding-systems, but it fails too.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards/Gruesse
Hans-Peter Binder