Re: proposed new variable `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column'

From: Matt Swift
Subject: Re: proposed new variable `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column'
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 15:54:56 -0500

>> "S" == Stefan wrote:

    S> I don't like this change because docstrings shouldn't be
    S> limted to 65 chars.  The doc only says that they should
    S> fit within 80 columns.  Only the first line should be shorter.

Is this an objection to the variable or to the default value?  If the
default value were t instead of 65, default behavior of Emacs would
not change.  Users who do like the feature could enable it with

I agree the wording below is not a requirement, but it is a
recommendation, and I was looking for a way to heed it while still
filling code and comments to a more practical, wider length.

>From (elisp)Documentation Tips:

   * Format the documentation string so that it fits in an Emacs window
     on an 80-column screen.  It is a good idea for most lines to be no
     wider than 60 characters.  The first line should not be wider than
     67 characters or it will look bad in the output of `apropos'.