Re: Customize Rogue

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:45:32 +0100

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:15:07 +0100, Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't think you should do so either, but some people want to do so
> for whatever reason, and the command is useful for them.

Yes, sure.

I reacted to the word "transition"**, but of course I'm not opposing
customize-rogue in any way.

**And the reason I reacted is that I hate finding those variables whose
docstrings say "Don't set this directly, use customize".

> What do you hope to accomplish by tricking customize?

Two things:

 1.- Not getting the "modified outside of customize" messages that I get
the odd time I use it. If the value is right, I don't see the point of
knowing i.e. if I set custom-file to ".emacs.custom" via setq or through
M-x customize-variable; the message makes me wonder if anything's wrong...

 2.- Using the customized initialization/setting/getting/whatever code
for those variables that have special needs. I'd like to do

  (custom-setq variable value)   ; or whatever

and get customize to check the value against the type spec, etc.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u