Re: support for tty frames from windowed emacs session

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: support for tty frames from windowed emacs session
Date: 09 Mar 2003 16:52:11 +0100

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> > I never thought I needed this -- why is it important?
>
> You work at home using X and leave the session running.  At work, you
> ssh to your home machine and want to access the same Emacs session.

I can see that this is useful, yes.

> You don't have X at work.  So you can't tunnel some X to work...

So, from the user's pov, running gnuclient -nw in, say xterm, would
behave like running emacs -nw, except that it will connect to the
running emacs and use the xterm as the tty, rather than starting a new
emacs on the xterm tty.

Although this is conceptually different from a make-frame-on-tty
function which would be useful to make an emacs frame on any tty
device, it would probably use the same fundamental code.

So it mostly boils down to supporting both windowing and non-windowing
frames at the same time.