Re: gtk Emacs: how specify menu font?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: gtk Emacs: how specify menu font?
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:21:58 +0100 (CET)

> Using GNU Emacs  built with --with-x-toolkit=gtk
> how do I specify the font for the menu?
>
>     GNOME 1.4, BrushedMetalClean theme,
>
>     Today's Debian testing,         Tue, 2003 Mar 18  14:14 UTC
>     Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Tue, 2003 Mar 18  13:24 UTC
>     GNU Emacs 21.3.50.222 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> In my .emacs file, I specify
>
>   (font . "10x20")    # high resolution screen
>
> and
>
>  '(menu ((t (:background "DodgerBlue4" :foreground "green"  :family
> "times"))))
>
> This works fine with the LUCID toolkit, but has no effect in the gtk
> toolkit.

It is because this updates the X resource database.  Xt based toolkits
like Lucid, picks these up.  GTK does not use the X resource database
(a design error IMHO), but has its own syntax, names and files for
customizations as this.  Please see the Emacs manual, X Resources ->
GTK resources for ways of doing this.

        Jan D.