Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin (Mingw)

From: David PONCE
Subject: Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin (Mingw)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:29:18 +0100 (CET)

> The default runtime _fmode is text with all Windows compilers. Why is
> this a problem only for mingw32's 20030208 build of GCC 3.2.2?

I am sorry, it seems my messages wasn't clear enough.  The problem is
not related to the compiler (I got the same results with gcc 3.1 and
3.2).  It is related to changes made in mingw-runtime between version
2.2 and 2.3.  With mingw-runtime 2.2, Emacs compiles and run OOTB.
With runtime 2.3 and 2.4, Emacs compiles OOTB, but fails at execution
time with random errors, because of invalid data read.

Here is an excerpt of the change log of mingw-runtime 2.3, which I
think is related to IO mode change:

2002-10-19  Danny Smith

        * crt1.c: Define new macro __IN_MINGW_RUNTIME before including
        stdlib.h.
        Define WIN32_MEAN_AND_LEAN before including windows.h
        * include/stdlib.h (_fmode): Protect declaration as dllimported
        variable with __IN_MINGW_RUNTIME.

2002-10-19  Igor Pechtchanski

        * crt1.c: Include stdlib.h.

2002-10-19  Danny Smith

        * Makefile.in (CRT0S): Add txtmode.o binmode.o.
        (MINGW_OBJS): Add txtmode.o.
        (SRCDIST_FILES): Add txtmode.c binmode.c.
        crt1.c: Don't include fcntrl.h, stdlib.h.
        (_fmode): Declare, without dllimport attribute.
        (__p__fmode): Declare access function for dll's _fmode.
        (_mingw32_init_fmode): Sync dll _fmode with staticly linked
        _fmode for app.
        * txtmode.c: New file.
        * binmode.c: New file.
        * samples/fmode/test2.c: New file.
        * samples/fmode/jamfile: Add test2.exe target.