Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: 31 Mar 2003 16:52:21 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > [The fringe glyph for this is rather ugly though; it should really be
> > something a bit less visually prominent...]
>
> Are you talking about the 21.2 fringe glyph (a block) or the new glyph
> in CVS head (small dashes) ?

The `small dashes' glyph.

> What kind of glyph do you suggest?

Just something a bit less visually dominant -- the dashes seem better
than the blocks, but because there are very many densely spaced dashes,
they still are quite distracting.

Here's the current glyph (this ASCII drawing exaggerates the vertical
dimension, so in reality it looks a bit more dense vertically):

      | 4  |
              _
       ####   _1
               2
              _
       ####   _1
               2
              _
       ####   _1
               2
              _
       ####   _1
               2
              _
       ####   _1
               2
              _
       ####   _1

How about something like this instead:

      | 4  |
              _
       ##     _1

               4

              _
         ##   _1

               4

              _
       ##     _1

               4

              _
         ##   _1

?

[Note that I use a white foreground on a dark background, which might
influence this somewhat]

-Miles
--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I