[Glenn Morris <address@hidden>] frame-height and make-frame inconsistenc

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: [Glenn Morris <address@hidden>] frame-height and make-frame inconsistency
Date: 02 Apr 2003 00:47:55 +0200

Glenn Morris has found a case where the previously inactive code
that "adds height of tool-bar to frame height" causes problems.

> In the current CVS, the value returned by frame-height does not seem
> to be consistent with that used by make-frame.
>
> To reproduce:
>
> mv ~/.Xdefaults ~/.Xdefaults.off    (if applicable)
>
> emacs -q --no-site-file
>
> (make-frame `(,(cons 'width (frame-width))
>             ,(cons 'height (frame-height))))
>
> Under 21.3, the new frame has the same dimensions as the old frame.
> Under 21.3.50, the new one is taller (by the height of the tool-bar, AFAICS).
>

> Configuration options in both cases (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit):
>
> --without-xim --with-x --with-x-toolkit=athena  --without-toolkit-scroll-bars

It would seem that the automatic resizing should only be applied to
the initial frame, but then C-x 5 f doesn't make a frame of the same
size as the initial frame.

Maybe the proper fix is to let frame-height return the height excl.
the tool-bar.

Actually, a superficial skimming through various pieces of lisp code
seem to assume that frame-height doesn't include the tool-bar height,
so maybe it would be more appropriate for frame-parameters to return
the height excl. the tool-bar height.

The change is simple, but I'm not sure what the implications are...