Re: [Bug] Issues with format.el: coding system, byte/char confusi on

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [Bug] Issues with format.el: coding system, byte/char confusi on
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:37:10 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Wedler, Christoph" <address@hidden> writes:
> I also don't think that the order is correct (if
> after-insert-file-set-buffer-file-coding-system doesn't do much, it
> might not matter): since the `buffer-file-coding-system' is used to save
> the RESULT of the format encode functions, it must be determined BEFORE
> the format-decode functions have been executed.

I agree.

>>  Is there any real example where this question arises, or is it
>>  purely hypothetical.

> I'm not sure since I don't know what
> `after-insert-file-set-buffer-file-coding-system' does exactly (is it
> more than eol-type handling?).

The task of that function are:

(1) Set buffer-file-coding-system according to the current
value and last-coding-system-used.

(2) If a file is visited by no-conversion or raw-text, set
the buffer unibyte.

So, as far as format-decode or any other functions in the
hook don't pay attention to buffer-file-coding-system or
enable-multibyte-characters, we can do the task in any
order.  But, conceptually it should be done before running
any other Lisp code.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden