Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 02:22:54 -0400

If Owen refuses to cooperate, then we could make a modified version of
GtkScrollbar for use in Emacs.  But that might be too much work for
us, not knowing the code.

The alternative that the thumb reaches the bottom only with maximum
overscrolling is bad in several ways.  I explained the problem that we
get with a large file such as etc/NEWS: you cannot drag the thumb to
see the end of the file.  If the thumb is at the bottom, you see no
text.  If the thumb is one pixel up, you are looking at text quite a
ways from the end of the file.

I just thought of another alternative.  The thumb could reach the bottom
when ZV reaches the bottom of the screen; then, if you overscroll, the
thumb would not move.  In other words, overscrolling would not be indicated
by the thumb.

This is obviously problematical, but I think it is less problematical
than the other alternative.

Jan, would you like to try this?