Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:26:37 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote (in response to Jan D.):

       How is different from the native scrollbar?  When I drag the thumb with
       mouse-2 in the native scrollbar to the end, I don't see any text, it has
       been overscrolled out of view.

   That sounds like exactly the alternative I am criticizing.

If with the native scrollbar, you scroll till the thumb hits the
bottom for the first time, you see the last screenfull of real text.
If you keep scrolling till the thumb has minimal size, then the last
line you can put point on is at the top. If the buffer ends in a
newline, that means that there is no text on the screen.

Clearly, if you allow overscrolling to put the last line point can be
on at the top, then, by *definition*, if you scroll as far as you
can scroll, that is where you are going to end up.

Sincerely,

Luc.