Re: shell-quote-argument and multibyte

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: shell-quote-argument and multibyte
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:16:48 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi Lars,
> Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
>>  I dired one can specify a list of external viewers. This is a nice
>>  new feature. However, there is a problem, at least on Windows, when
>>  there are special characters in the file name. I don't know where
>>  the problem should be fixed, but I do know that it disapears if
>>  string-make-unibyte is called on ARGUMENT in shell-quote-argument.

By default, process arguements (including the filename in
the above case) are encoded by:
    (cdr default-process-coding-system)
And usually, it is the same as

So, if it doesn't work, it means that something is wrong in
setting up coding systems on Windows.

Please show me the result of C-h C RET.

Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:

> I would guess you rather want something like this to be generic:
>   (decode-coding-string ARGUMENT
>                         (or file-name-coding-system
>                             default-file-name-coding-system))

No.  At least "decode" must be actually "encode".  And, it
shouldn't be done in shell-quote-argument.  Such an encoding
should be done only for file names.

Ken'ichi HANDA