Re: Custom question: different default values for different environments

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Custom question: different default values for different environments?
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:19:41 +0200

>     After some discussion among the Tramp developers, it turns out that
>     it is probably best to just have two entries everywhere: one entry
>     mentioning rsh and another entry mentioning remsh.
>
> Sorry, I do not understand what you are proposing.  Would you please
> explain more clearly?

Originally, I asked how to achieve a certain effect in defcustom.

Now the plan is to do something entirely different, and a side effect
of that plan is that the effect I originally asked about isn't needed
anymore.

The old plan was to allow the user to type filenames
"/rsh:address@hidden:bla" and the system would know whether to invoke rsh
or remsh.

The new plan is to require the user to type "/rsh:address@hidden:bla" if
rsh is to be invoked, and "/remsh:address@hidden:bla" if remsh is to be
invoked.

With the new plan, the file name corresponds to the Unix command being
used, and I guess that people are familiar with those names.

(Ideally, autodetection of the command to be used to contact the
remote host would be desirable.  But it takes a long time to try
several methods for connecting.  So users have to specify the command
in the file name.)

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)