Re: New function `emacs-version>='

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: New function `emacs-version>='
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 23:00:47 +0200

On Fri, 2 May 2003 21:55:31 +0200 , "Wedler, Christoph" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Specific features or bug fixes are only available in newer Emacsen and
> packages must be able to cope with it.

I used to think like you, and even had such a function in my .emacs (to
cope with 20.7, 21.[123], 21.2.9[0-5], EMACS_21_1_RC and HEAD).

Now I don't. You say:

> The right test is
>
>  - I need to check the availibility for feature/fix A
>  - feature/fix A is provided with Emacs-X.Y
>  - therefore I test with (emacs-version>= X Y)

but the right test is:

 - I want to use feature/fix A
 - therefore, I test whether A is available.

Whether the feature is available in version X.Y is not that clear-cut,
specially if you're testing for a feature that appears in a branch
before being installed in the trunk (or even as a temporary measure,
while another, better fix is installed on the trunk). Checking for a
particular release is pointless, because you're not really interested in
the release, you're interested in the feature.

What's wrong with using fboundp, boundp, facep? There are 23/11/6 of
them (respectively) in my .emacs and it works really fine...

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u