Re: New function `emacs-version>='

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New function `emacs-version>='
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 17:14:07 -0400

> but the right test is:
>
>  - I want to use feature/fix A
>  - therefore, I test whether A is available.

I think Christoph knows that.  It's just that sometimes it's difficult
to test whether A works or not.  For instance, how do you check whether
the `display' property is supported by your version of Emacs ?
How do you test whether PNG images are supported (without actually
displaying such an image) ? ...

In most cases, there's a better solution than testing emacs-version, but
there are still some where testing emacs-version makes sense and furthermore
people do it anyway, so I'd rather provide an `emacs-version>=' rather than
see something fail in Emacs-21 because some idiot wrote
(or (= 20 emacs-major-version) (>= 29 emacs-minor-version)).

And then we can make bytecomp.el emit warning messages about
how you shouldn't use that function ;-)

        Stefan