Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 10:32:01 -0400

    The situiation I have is that there are directories with file names in
    different encodings.  Latin-1 is most frequent, which is why I say
    file name encoding is latin-1.  But some directories contain other
    encodings, UTF-8 among them.

Perhaps what we should do is record the proper coding system to use
for a given buffer's file name string.  That way, when you visit a
buffer from a directory whose names are UTF-8 encoded, the
buffer will say "use UTF-8 to encode my file name."

We could also conceivably record this info in the file-name string
itself; but I have a bad feeling that that will lead to some sort
of incoherence that I cannot see at present.