RE: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager

From: Wedler, Christoph
Subject: RE: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:11:33 +0200

Kenichi Handa wrote:

 >> No, with Emacs-21.2.95, changing quail.el doesn't change the behaviour
 >> (echo area has 2 lines only if korean characters are displayed there,
 >> after the character has been inserted, the echo area is back to 1 line).

 > Ah, sure, sorry.  My change just suppressed the resizing
 > while you are typing Korean letters.  Previously, each time
 > you type a key, the echo area was resized.

OK, I see that difference (with a key sequence for a quail rule which is
also a prefix of the key sequence of another quail rule).

Yes, your change in quail.el has improved things.

 > It seems that there's no way other than setting resize-mini-windows
 > to nil to completely suppressing the resizing.

Hm, I use a idle-time `message' (like in eldoc.el) with non-default
characters in my package X-Symbol...  Setting the user option
`resize-mini-windows' there wouldn't be nice.

- Christoph