Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:40:29 +0900 (JST)

I'm sorry for the late response on this thread.

In article <address@hidden>, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
writes:
> Agreed, but I think one of the problems is that the preference-ordering
> is the same for load-time-detection as it is for save-time-detection,
> so if you move utf-8 up for detection you end up saving all new files
> in utf-8 which is not OK in non-utf-8 locales.
> I suggested introducing a second preference-order, but nothing came
> out of it (probably because I didn't code anything up).

I'd like to avoid introducing a new mechanism to control a
coding system as far as possible.  And, the second
preference-order (used for saving) works only in this case:

(1) The buffer file coding system can't encode the current
    buffer, and
(2) The most preferred coding system can encode the current
    buffer, and
(3) A user doesn't want to use the most preferred one.

Isn't it a very rare case?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden