Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 19:19:06 -0400

    Still, foldout contains "folding extensions for outline-mode and
    outline-minor-mode". If foldout is not just for text, perhaps outline.el
    isn't either.

When I wrote outline.el, I thought of it as specifically for text.
And I think it is only used for text (though I could be wrong).
Perhaps foldout.el extends it to be useful for other things.
I am not sure what foldout actually does; I never used it.

    re-builder.el, for example, is only vaguely related to supporting Emacs
    Lisp. I use it often, but never on anything related to developing or
    maintaning elisp, but as a sort of incremental occur...

Its main intended use is for maintaining the complex regexps in Lisp
programs, so it belongs in emacs-lisp.

    > It could be that some other files belong in emacs-lisp which are not
    > there.  Perhaps subr.el.  Any others?

    Likely candidates IMO:

     float-sup (if not obsoleted)

I agree about moving all of these to emacs-lisp.

     time-stamp ?

I don't think that has any specific relationship to editing programs,
so it doesn't belong in progmodes.

Is that specifically for editing programs, or is it for editing
all sorts of things?  I don't know; I never used it.

That does seem to fit in progmodes.

    For textmodes:

I can't understand the doc strings in regi.el; I don't know
what job that file does.  I will ask Barry Warsaw to
write some sort of overview for it.