Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 20:02:04 -0400

>     Still, foldout contains "folding extensions for outline-mode and
>     outline-minor-mode". If foldout is not just for text, perhaps outline.el
>     isn't either.
>
> When I wrote outline.el, I thought of it as specifically for text.
> And I think it is only used for text (though I could be wrong).
> Perhaps foldout.el extends it to be useful for other things.
> I am not sure what foldout actually does; I never used it.

work/emacs-0% grep -l outline-regexp lisp/progmodes/*.el
lisp/progmodes/ada-mode.el
lisp/progmodes/antlr-mode.el
lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
lisp/progmodes/cperl-mode.el
lisp/progmodes/scheme.el
lisp/progmodes/tcl.el
work/emacs-0%

It's also defined in lisp-mode (which is in emacs-lisp).
I also define it in sml-mode, so I expect other non-bundled packages use it
that way for programming modes.

Admittedly, for programming languages that allow/encourage the definition
of local functions, outline is a bit limited (if the headings are defined
as the function-heads, outline will believe that the end of a subfunction
is either the beginning of the next subfunction or the end of the enclosing
function :-( ).

But I use it very happily (together with reveal-mode) in elisp.

        Stefan