Re: MML charset tag regression

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: MML charset tag regression
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 17:27:33 +0100

[I don't have the start of this thread and I don't know what it has to
do with the subject, which I may be able to help with.]

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> In my naive reasoning, Emacs would be fine if it requested
> UTF8_STRING first and COMPOUND_TEXT second always.

That's not so useful for CJK text, at least.

> But then, I am not using any locales that require more than 8-bit
> characters

The locale used shouldn't be relevant (except for choosing encoding
defaults).  That's part of the problem.  The selection clients and the
server may be in different locales with different X implementations.
I often have a mixture of four or five on my desktop.