Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:05:14 +0300

[I suggest to resend your message to emacs-devel.]

> From: Glen Peterson <address@hidden>
> Date: 28 May 2003 23:16:59 -0400
>
> I believe that Emacs key bindings are effectively preventing 99% or more
> of Windows programmers and other younger programmers from ever using
> it.

I think you greatly exaggerate the difficulty of adapting to Emacs
key bindings.

> I propose a toggle that sets emacs and all its IDEs into "Windows
> Mode".

While this might be a good idea, I think we need to change only a
small set of bindings frequently used by Windows users.  Otherwise,
almost all of Emacs bindings will need to be changed, and most of the
user manual will instantly become invalid where it describes key
bindings.

I suggest to try CUA mode (in the CVS sources) and see if it solves
your problem well enough for it to become much less grave.

> * The kill ring should not be used.  Cut and copy and paste should
> operate on the Windows clipboard

Emacs does both, so I don't see why is the default operation a
problem.  A user who is unaware of the kill ring should be able to
simply ignore it.

> Delete - delete 1 char to the right.
> Backspace - move and delete 1 char to the left

These two already work like that.  If you have any problems, please
describe them.

> cua-mode bindings is a good idea, but I don't think it goes far enough.

The question is not whether CUA mode makes Emacs be a Windows program,
the question is does it go far enough as to allow Windows users to
become efficient Emacs users with minimal adaptation pain.

> Particularly disturbing are the state sensitive M-x and C-x keys:
> ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/contrib/cua-mode.el

I sugegst to try the version of CUA mode that is part of the Emacs CVS
sources, not the one in XEmacs (perhaps those are the same, I don't
know).

> Do any of you share these views?  Why, or why not.  Who else cares about
> this issue and what can we do to bring about this important change?

AFAIK, many (most?) Emacs users (certainly its developers) want Emacs
to work the same on all supported platforms.