Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 00:04:56 +0200

Emacs keybindings are not arbitrary, and they're a highly ingrained part of
the editor and its culture.

Yes, and in my opinion it is a problem.

To change them in any large way, there would
have to be a _very_ good reason, and you certainly haven't shown one.
The reason is to make Emacs more user friendly. More customizable. To make
more people use Emacs, and realize that free software is not just for nerds.

MSWindows keybindings are not particularly great, and in my experience, most
MSWindow users don't even _use_ keybindings (or know them), beyond the
C-c/C-x/C-v triumvirate and the `shift-movement' selection -- both of which
cua-mode handles.
I do not argue that we should implement MS Windows-like keybindings. I just
argue that it should be easyer to change key bindings.