Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: 30 May 2003 17:05:21 +0900

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> > I think in part this simply points out that the tools available for
> > changing bindings are not very good.  It's not hard to image something
> > that would give you a broad visual presentation of the current bindings,
> > highlight which key ranges are `reserved for users,' help you avoid
> > conflicts, allow you to define your own `binding sets,' etc.
>
> But there is a relationship between keybindings.  How to capture that?
>
> If a user has remapped transpose-chars to somewhere, how should the
> system know where transpose-words and transpose-lines should go?

Why should the software care?  For the relatively simple task of
allowing users to easily add their own bindings, you don't have to
ensure that the result is somehow a perfect symmetrical set of bindings,
you merely have to help the user avoid some common problems.

If the user cares about other related bindings, he'll try to figure
something out, the software's only job is to assist him by providing
good tools.

-miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.