Re: Problems with info (emacs version)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Problems with info (emacs version)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:26:16 -0400

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:46:05PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> > According to other posts in this thread, I was confused -- emacs _already_
> > strips invisible properties on yank by default (so I guess it's not a
> > problem!).
>
> Hm.  I frequently yank text from info, and the invisible property does
> not seem to be stripped.

That's the _other_ part of my confusion in this thread... :-)

Info doesn't use invisibility to hide text, it uses the `display' property to
display whitespace instead.

I think probably message-mode should specifically add `display' the set of
properties stripped by yanking in message-mode buffers -- even less hacky
uses of the display property (such as images) are something the user had
better be aware of when sending email!

Well actually in general, I think it would be nice if message/mail-mode
handled pictures automagically by converting them info an appropriate mime
attachment, in which case probably the right thing to do would be to some how
distinguish betwen the two uses of the display property -- but I think this
should be done at _yank time_, not when sending (as I said before, sending is
too late); is there a hook that runs when something is yanked...?

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo