Re: INSTALL-CVS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: INSTALL-CVS
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 10:42:29 -0400

> |> Suggestion -- have the configure script 'touch' the Info files as the
> |> last thing it does if and only if they exist at the time of the
> |> 'configure'.
>
> This is counter-productive, because then if you rerun configure when the
> info files are out-of-date they won't be rebuilt.

Agreed.

I think we should simply add `man' to the default target and
live with it.  If that means that `makeinfo' is sometimes called
when a user installs Emacs, what's the big deal ?
If the problem is that the user might not have a working `makeinfo',
how about running it with a leading "-" so that an error from
`makeinfo' is ignored by make ?

        Stefan