Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:54:32 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

   ... to me, the URL displayed at the bottom of the HTML
   display (an area roughly equivalent to Emacs's echo area), celarly
   states whether the refenced document belongs to the same document or
   not.

Yes, it does clearly state, and I look there frequently.  That is the
trouble.

To me, it is a poor user interface since it means that I must move my
eye away from the text, and then when I come back, rediscover where I
was.

By the way, I agree with David Kastrup that Info for the sighted
should have high-resolution images.  (No one using Emacspeak will
listen to either plain text or high-resolution images, so even if no
one works on high-resolution images, people who write in Texinfo
should consider using address@hidden sighted' and address@hidden blind'
conditionals
in their work.)  I think this task should be added to the TODO list.

(Truth is, for better or worse, I think many of the current items on
the TODO list are more important than changing Info, although I
personally really like the idea of high-resolution images.  I would
like to see Emacs incorporate the other image-related enhancements
mentioned in the TODO list, as well as add a `visual dired' that uses
little thumbnails to the current Dired mode.)

Must go -- am traveling and will be somewhat out of touch the next few
days.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden