Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:17:38 -0400

        karl>
        Yes, this was added to Texinfo (makeinfo, info.el) a little
        while ago, implemented by address@hidden, and will be in the
        next release of Texinfo and Emacs.  As for documentation, I
        wrote about it in texinfo.txi.  It didn't seem like any
        documentation for info readers was needed -- it just happens.

    rms>
    We need to document the format in info.texi.

I assume you mean the specific implementation in the .info files
(^H^[image src=...^H^]).  Ok, I can work on that, although in general
info.texi's description of Info format looks quite idiosyncratic to me,
being done in the context of writing an Info file by hand (which no one
does any more), and/or explaining certain Info user interface commands.

So, do you mind if I rewrite it so that there's a clear appendix simply
describing the file format?  If you don't want me to go that far, then I'll
just stick in the image information somewhere.

I see that the anchor implementation is not mentioned in info.texi
either.  I'll document that as well.  (I didn't think of it when I added
the feature since I never thought of info.texi as documenting the file
format before now, just the user interface.)