Re: recent emacs font problems?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: recent emacs font problems?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:18:38 +0200

Here is what RMS said about the exact same fix some days ago; please
read the previous articles in this thread for a discussion on this
subject:

Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 09:59:01 +0200 (CEST)
From: Klaus Straubinger <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

If the font family of the default face is changed with
(set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "fixed")
then this does not change the face's font for subsequent frames, as can
be seen with the evaluation of (face-font 'default) in the first frame
and in a second, created with C-x 5 2, respectively.

Thank you.  However, I still can't understand how things are supposed to
work.  In my .Xdefaults I set default font to courier-14.  Now if I
do (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "fixed"), shall new frames
get courier-14 or fixed-14?  Currently they get fixed-14 but with the
font metrics of courier-14, so the frame is not 80 characters wide, but
more like 87 characters.

If I select courier 12 from the shift-down-1 menu, shall I get courier-12
or fixed-12?  Currently I get fixed-12 (with courier-12 font metrics).

        Jan D.