Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:46:49 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> In other words, I want to navigate via a regexp search through all and
> only those files that are part of the `same document'.

HTML/HTTP does not offer such a funtionallity; one must make use iof a
search engine.

> Have I missed something?  Does the Lynx `/' command do what I want?
> (I just tried it, and it does not seem to.)

I guess noboby asked for a regex search until now.

> That is the solution I use, and it is broken!  That is the point.  By
> default, you must either use a search engine or create one, like
> htdig.

Yes, but for info files remote access does not exist at all!  One must
not compare info-search with features an arbitrary browser offers;
those browser are not optimized for local file access ;)

> That would be great, if it is possible.  (The task is beyond me.)

me too.

> Certainly, you can download all the pages for a site; that is done,
> for example, by `wget' with mirroring.  That is fine for a small site
> devoted to one topic.  My problem is that I cannot figure out how to
> avoid pages on a site that are not part of the document in question
> and which I do not want to download.

For sane site '--no-parent' should do the trick (maybe in combination
with --reject or --level; yes, there are many a lot insance sites out
there...

HTML/HTTP technologie isn't that bad, but since most content providers
are more interested in serving advertisements than documents, useful
features are often ignored.  And then there is lack in knowledge
(cf. the problems with the LINK tag).

And actually, now Emacs is ready to catch up -- I guess we can use
for English speakers.  Users not that much familiar with the English
language are still a little bit in trouble.

> (Does htdig provide a mechanism for remote keybinding in some Web
> browsers?  As far as I know, it doesn't for Emacs W3M mode, for Lynx,
> or for Galeon.

lynx is able to call external commands like wget.

> However, I have my mode line set to tell me the full path name of any
> info document -- to do automatically what you do by calling C-x C-f
> (or a similar command).  (I cannot understand why so many people like
> the default configuration; to me it is as if they decided to be like
> horses who pull carriages and wear blinders over their eyes.)

I guess the regular user isn't interested in a file name of an info
file.

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home)               |   (*)/'(*)