Re: --without-xim is ignored.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: --without-xim is ignored.
Date: 09 Jul 2003 03:31:33 +0200

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> > We explicitly mention it as one of the options to use to improve
> > response-time when using emacs over slow WAN links,
>
> Where?  I thought I removed that.

Sorry, I didn't notice that.

In any case, IMHO, fiddling with X resources isn't for the average user.

A compile time option is much easier to describe and understand IMO...

So I would recommend to still mention --without-xim as an alternative
to useXIM in PROBLEMS.

> > What about making --without-xim control the default run-time setting
> > of XIM, i.e. default is on, but --without-xim turns it off?
>
> I tend to think that would cause extra confusion.

Maybe.  But I just installed changes to do just that (following RMS'
approval).