Re: emacs floating point error during dump?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs floating point error during dump?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:27:15 -0400

>     Or we could just add the dependencies on lisp.h to the makefile.  After
>     all, this is not much of a burden nowadays any more.
>
> To have to recompile everything just because of a change in prototype
> would still be an annoyance.  We may as well avoid it, since we can
> easily do so.

I expect I'm one of the few people who recompiles Emacs (very) regularly
and who uses a 266Mhz PII machine to do those recompiles, and yet I have
gone through the trouble of adding all those dependencies to lisp.h
(via `makedepend') and haven't actually been annoyed by them.

I suffer more from Emacs's own performance problems (that I still haven't
had enough time to really investigate) than from excessive recompilation.

        Stefan