Re: Apropos scoring

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Apropos scoring
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:11:00 -0400

    Hm.  C-h a is apropos-command, which I think also searches the symbol
    names, just like apropos does.  So why have scoring for
    apropos-command but not for apropos?

I find that I dislike the non-lexical order of the output of
apropos-command.  There is no clear reason logic behind it,
so it is mysterious.

I think that the score should be used in sorting only if the score is
shown.  When the score is shown, the user will see that the score was
the basis for the ordering.  It will make sense.

I will do that now.

    If I am allowed to dream, the best would be to always have scoring,
    but to allow for sorting the output in different ways.  Sort by score
    and sort by name would be the two obvious sorting methods.

I agree, that would be useful.