Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:00:34 +0100

I've noticed that the GDB developers make a daily snapshot of their current
CVS source available on the internet.

See ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/

I realise that RedHat may have more bandwidth resources that the FSF and that
its probably most efficient to use CVS directly. However, one advantage of
doing this would be that a copy of what's in the CVS repository becomes
available to Emacs users who are behind company firewalls. Currently, some of
those people download existing releases and may report bugs to
bug-gnu-emacs. If snapshots were made available, some might download these and
provide more extensive pretesting prior to release which they could report to
emacs-pretest-bug. It might also relieve some of the frustration among Emacs
developers arising from the long time between non-bugfix releases.

I therefore suggest that a daily, weekly or monthly snapshot of Emacs be put on
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs

Nick