Re: compare-windows - synchronize points

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: compare-windows - synchronize points
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:22:20 -0400

    This patch allows to automatically synchronize points according to
    user-defined variable `compare-windows-sync'.  If the value of this
    variable is a regexp, then the points in both windows are advanced
    to the next occurrence of this regexp.

Doing this automatically would be a nice feature, but I wonder
if that method really does the right job frequently.  Could you tell
us what kinds of text you have used the feature on, and what values
you have used, and what sort of results you got?

Reports from other people who try it would be useful too.

Could we possibly find good defaults to put in, so that this feature
can be available by default and won't need customization in order
to work?

Another idea I have for syncing up is that a program could use a
simple quadratic algorithm to find the first matching 4-character
string in the two buffers, and move there.  This might get painfully
slow when there are substantial insertions, though.

The variable should be called compare-windows-sync-function, I think.