Re: antialiasing for emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: antialiasing for emacs
Date: 13 Aug 2003 19:48:05 +0900

Hi,

I have question about your emacs xft support patch:

Your code contains the following:

+    face->xftbackground.pixel = face->background;
+    newcolor.pixel = face->background;
+    XQueryColor (FRAME_X_DISPLAY (f), atts.colormap, &newcolor);
+    face->xftbackground.color.red = newcolor.red;
+    face->xftbackground.color.green = newcolor.green;
+    face->xftbackground.color.blue = newcolor.blue;
+    face->xftbackground.color.alpha = 0xffff;

Is there any way to use a pixmap instead of a single color?

I've been working on my pixmap background patch for emacs, and I'm a
bit concerned that it won't interact correctly with font anti-aliasing
(GTK presents similar problems, but they can be worked around in a
brute-force manner).

I'm hoping that it's possible, because Mozilla uses xft, and it
certainly supports anti-aliased fonts on top of pixmap backgrounds.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."