Re: desktop

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: desktop
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:53:46 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Because then desktop keeps asking annoying questions?
>
> I really don't know anything about desktop, but for some reason I set
> `desktop-enable' to t at some point.
>
> Then emacs started asking questions when I exited -- `Save desktop?' `Where?'
> etc.

I think you must be confusing something.  Or perhaps desktop.el
changed in the meantime.

These days, if you load desktop.el and call the two defuns you are
supposed to call, then you will resume the session from your .emacs.desktop
file.

When you quit Emacs, and desktop-enable is nil, your session will not
be saved to the .emacs.desktop file.  This is the problem I was
reporting.

What you are reporting, however, seems to occur only once:  When you
don't have a .emacs.desktop file, it will ask you for one on quitting.
Next time, however, upon finding the existing file, you should not see
any questions.  That is the behaviour dictated by the default value of
desktop-save -- 'ask-if-new.  Perhaps you have set desktop-save to
something different?

> If desktop did something useful without being annoying I suppose it
> could be turned on by default.

Hm, I didn't read Richard's comment that way.  I don't think we
should turn desktop on by default.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/