Re: Updates to etc/MORE.STUFF

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Updates to etc/MORE.STUFF
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:20:52 -0400

    The would mean that you can only distribute GPL elisp programs?  I
    don't think that is true.

The GPL wouldn't apply to a program just for being written in Elisp.
However, if it uses non-language features of Emacs, that's a different
case.  So I don't know whether that particular program violates the
GPL.  However, whether it violates the GPL or not, if it's non-free
we should not be promoting it by telling people about it.

                               How does this "linking" happen?

Our position is that a program designed to call and be called by the
features of Emacs is an addition to Emacs.

                                                                What if
    the elisp runs in XEmacs?

XEmacs is a modified version of Emacs, and is GPL-covered too, so I
don't think its existence changes the issue.

      What if it runs via the common-lisp
    library Sam Steingold wrote?

Sorry, I don't know anything about that library.