Re: info-lookup delay on missing file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: info-lookup delay on missing file
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:13:14 +0200

> From: Kevin Ryde <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:08:00 +1000
>
> For instance in sh-mode, diff.info is after coreutils.info.  If you
> don't have coreutils.info and you try "C-h C-i diff" there's a message
> and delay
>
>       Cannot access Info node (coreutils)Index
>
> every time before going on to bring up the diff manual.  During the
> delay an unrelated index is shown in the info window, which I also
> think is quite disconcerting.
>
> I'd like to propose quietly ignoring such inaccessible files,
>
>         * info-look.el (info-lookup): Don't sit-for and message on
>         inaccessible info file.  This was done on every lookup going past that
>         file's entry and was too annoying.  Leave it to happen just once on
>         building the cache.

What happens if _none_ of the files in info-lookup-alist exist?  Does
the user get any messages with your change, or will Emacs simply do
nothing visible (quietly)?  If the latter, I'm not sure the proposed
behavior is a good idea.

Btw, one alternative is to be less talkative, but not to omit the
information altogether, either: put the message into *Messages*, but
don't display it and don't sit-for.