Re: recentf-cleanup, file-readable-p & remote files

From: David PONCE
Subject: Re: recentf-cleanup, file-readable-p & remote files
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:51:37 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> But I'm still not sure if it's not a good idea for `recentf-cleanup'
> to call `file-readable-p' on remote files _at all_.  The reason is
> that it can be a *very* slow operation.

My latest change introduced a new feature that make now possible to
have predicate functions in `recentf-exclude'.  Thus, if you add
`file-remote-p' into `recentf-exclude', remote files will no more be
put on the recent list.

More generally, I could do what you suggest and simply not call
`file-readable-p' on remote files, in `recentf-cleanup'.

However, what to do then with remote files?  Just ignore them, that is
never remove them automatically from the recent list?  Always remove
them?  Wouldn't that be equivalent of using `file-remote-p' in the
`recentf-exclude' list?

IMO a better solution would be to allow to disable connection timeout
when calling the `file-readable-p' remote handler (I don't know if
this is feasible).  So when not connected, `file-readable-p' will
immediately return nil, without waiting for a remote connection.

Thoughts?

David

P.S.: I CC  this mail to the emacs-devel ML, maybe someone here could help ;-)