Re: Lawyer's evaluation

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Lawyer's evaluation
Date: 19 Sep 2003 08:16:16 +0900

> I asked our lawyer to evaluate a recent version of the proposal.
> A statement that "Emacs is free software," and a button to get more
> information on free software seems possible to me.

Yeah, I agree -- in my mind, perhaps the _most_ important (important to
me, that is :-) thing to say while you've got the user's attention, is
`This is Free Software (as in freedom), there's a lot more of it, and a
great community to back it up.  Wanna join?'

My version is a bit fanboyish sounding, but you get the idea.

A single short and concise paragraph at the start of the longer text
seems like the right place; I don't think it has to smoothly flow into
the rest.

Come to think of it, a similar statement in the emacs splash screen,
complete with clickable button to bring up a web browser (where that's
possible; I guess in windows it should always be) wouldn't be a bad
idea.

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.