RE: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:10:24 +0100

I meant, to list the ideas explicitly:

- Make list-matching-lines and grep have the same UI (or wrapping grep
in a list-matching-lines-in-files) and their buffers have the same
major-mode.

- Add something like list-matching-lines-in-buffers, taking a regexp to
match buffer names.

- Replace Tools/Search Files menu entry with Tools/List Matching Lines
menu containing menu entries:
        In Buffer               # list-matching-lines
        In Buffers...   # list-matching-lines-in-buffers
        In Files...             # grep or list-matching-lines-in-files
        ---
        Goto First Match
        Goto Previous Match
        Goto Next Match
        Goto Last Match
        ---
        Stop Searching

- Add menu to the major-mode (occur or whatever it would be called)
containing menu entries:
        Goto First Match
        Goto Previous Match
        Goto Next Match
        Goto Last Match
        ---
        Stop Searching

(OK, I never mentioned the last item before.)

I also asked what the alternative UI for grep was, the one you think may
already exist, because I couldn't find it.  If that bit has already been
done, or partly done, then all the better.  Do you know what the
alternative is?  (Maybe it was added for 21.4, in which case it's no
surprise I couldn't find it.)

Simon.