Re: Cannot Generate loaddefs.el on Solaris

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Cannot Generate loaddefs.el on Solaris
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:34:46 -0400

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:02:06AM -0400, Vin Shelton wrote:
> /bin/sh on Solaris has stricter syntax wrt the 'test' command than
> bash does.  The !  (negation) operator cannot appear before the 'test'
> command.
> -       if ! test -r $(lisp)/loaddefs.el; then                \
> +       if test ! -r $(lisp)/loaddefs.el; then                \

Note that the ! in the former case is actually a (posix) shell construct, not
a test operator.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the ! test operator either, but a bit of
googling suggests that it's OK even on ancient systems, as long as the
following expression is not `weird.'

(I always test my scripts for portability on sunos because sun seems to have
last updated some of their utilities in about 1985!)

Thanks,

-Miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."